Islands of the Caribbean; the Orinoco & Amazon Rivers; the Brazilian states of Ceara, Rio Grande do Norte, Pernambuco and ParanĂ¡; Paraguay, Argentina, Uruguay, Chile & Easter Island, Bolivia, Peru, Ecuador, Colombia and Venezuela: Natural wonders, colonial cities, great food and fantastic music!

Friday 31 December 2010

Packing!

"I've done this a million times! It'll be easy!"
How naive of me was that? I have been loading my 70L backpack on and off since the beginning of this week and I still have a little while to go yet! Preparing myself for the inferno of the tropics, the icy storms that characterise the Patagonian vastness, and the deadly wildlife in the Jungles has been no doddle. It would have been a breeze for Mary Poppins, who stores lamps and cups in an almost nanometric bag!
Brain wave! Could I pack some really old clothes to layer myself up in for the chilling loneliness surrounding Mount Fitzroy and the blizzards high up in the Andes? Then when we get back into the blisteing heat zone, I could just chuck 'em or give them to people. What a shame I didn't think of this a couple of months ago BEFORE donating my clothes to the charity shop! Still my old clothes should be in a better place now so I'm not too worried.
The goal is to get my backpack under 8kg as we'll be trekking for virtually 2 weeks with our homes on our backs. A little like a snail really, only they are slower than us (unless we become so exhausted by the end that we remain stationary in recovery! ... So I won't speak too soon).

Anyway let the fun continue and wish me luck! We set out on Sunday from London Heathrow so keep your eyes peeled for more posts!

2 comments:

  1. Now that's what I call well organised! The tartan scarf is going to come in handy in Patagonia and out of the sun in Bolivia, and it's reminded me to go and find a scarf right now. What's that at the top left of the picture? I'm all packed at around 18kg, but that includes the tent and 31 copies of DS. My aim is to get it down to maximum 10kg for treks. The Lonely Planet is very bulky, and I'm seriously considering taking chapters out as we go round...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What, no dinner suit and bow tie?!!!
    You should consider a buff - no, not going in the buff silly. Mind you, save packing! - No, a buff makes a great scarf, hat, towel, tourniquet, when he really starts to annoy you, and many other things, and weighs absolutely nothing. I bought one for South Africa, £17:00 well spent, Cotswold Camping. Brilliant! Happy travels!

    ReplyDelete